just when the caterpillar thought that life was over,
it became
a BUTTERFLY!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Great Ride, even BETTER peeps

Can't say its my first ride of 2008 outdoors but certainly the first one of any distance... Been reading blogs and exchanging emails with Iron Snoopy... She invited me to a ride she and some friends were doing today, the Folks on Spokes Easter Ride. I am SO SO SO glad that I went.

Had my alarm set for 4:30 wanted to give myself plenty of time to get my stuff together, get out the door and leave plenty of time to get to Governors State University... Well I guess I was excited about going, I woke up at 3:45, laid around till 4 then just said heck with it and got up. I mostly had what I needed already sitting out was just a matter of putting it in the car - so I ate, loaded up the bike and off I went. Well glad I left early cause I missed a turn... YES imagine even with a freaking GPS... BUT its kind of hard to tell where 294/94/80 split off and... well... I missed the 80/57 exit - no worries good ole GPS had me back on track in no time - now had I missed that split w/o GPS, hell I'd probably be in Indiana right now - or gotten frustrated and gave up. Got to the college plenty early, went inside, used the facilities, then waited for Snoopy and party...

Just as she said she'd be wearing a green/black jacket and have her 6'5" accessory, otherwise known as the hubby with her - made it pretty easy to spot them... they got signed up and we agreed to meet in front of the college.... well imagine my surprise when I'm taking my bike off the rack and of all the places to park, they had parked right next to me.... I think it was a sign of good things to come - I mean really as large as both parking lots are, we never discussed what cars we'd be in, or where we'd park, and we park NEXT to each other?

So we all got ready to go, made intro's, and off we went... Snoopy's hubby was going with the fast kids and planned to do 50, ended up doing 68, so Snoopy, Waddler, Rhonda and I headed off on the 38 mile route - had some bike trouble at first but got back on track...

Now let me tell ya Waddler is anything BUT slow.... she and Rhonda were going at quite a clip... I don't think I could have kept up with them, least not today just trying to get my bike legs back - but Dawn hung back with me and we chatted 90% of the ride, sans the spots it was to hairy to ride two abreast, and damn I tell ya 25 miles were gone before I even realized it - She is a VERY lovely person and I hope to get to know her better I truly enjoyed her company today - I'm only sorry I felt like I was holding her back speed wise... after not being on the bike since like Sept of 07, there was just no way I could have kept up a 17mph pace. I can't wait for Galena now where I will get to spend some more time getting to know Karen and Dawn better....

And the sponsored ride... good gosh don't think I've ever been on such a ride with great rest stops, they had sandwiches, cookies, bagels, fresh veggies, pretzels, hot chili, oranges, banana's, and a great crew to serve it up - definately a ride I'll participate in again. And the weather, OMG, it was fab!

According to cyclometer we did 41.67 miles, per my Garmin, 39 something, so we decided we'd call it 40, in just short of 3 hrs w/short stops... according to my Garmin I burned 1800 calories, so its no wonder I feel ready to eat everything AND the house, but I'm keeping it in check, I've got 40 LBS to get off me.

All in all it was a GREAT day, great weather, great ride, AWESOME people! Who could ask for more!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hello, I read Waddler's blog and she had a link to yours. I was at the ride too. It was as incredible as you say. I only did the 16 mile route. I wish I could have met Waddler. We didn't connect in time to meet that day. Have a blessed day. Just wanted to say hi.

Take care,
Melissa