just when the caterpillar thought that life was over,
it became
a BUTTERFLY!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Breaking the rules

Today I broke all the 'rules' of running.... all the books, experts, etc tell you when your starting a running program or getting back into one, you should start out slow and only increase your mileage by 10% a week.... So lately my runs are 2.3 - 3 miles in length but today I almost doubled that. So I should have gone maybe 3.3 miles not 5.6.... I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow.

I started the run with Kevin who had an hour on his schedule... he invited me along and I warned him he'd be going a LOT slower than normal, he was fine with it... So off we go and I am trying to keep my HR in levels not to near my max for too long so when I hit 170 its time to bring it down, so there was some slowing from a crawling jog to a brisk walk pace. And then lets not even talk about the 6ish inches of new snow we are trudging thru - I mean this IS suppose to be spring for gosh sakes.

I can't say the first 4 miles flew by, but they went faster than when I run 2ish or 3by myself - we started chatting, well I as much as I could between breathes, and before I knew it my garmin was beeping mile 4 at me.... and at that point I knew I had another mile or more to get back home... so I encourage Kevin to pick up his pace and finish up by himself I was in a spot where I knew how to get home and I really needed to slow it to a brisk walk for the rest of my 1+ mile to get home.

I guess in some fashion it was getting out there and being on my feet for that long and with Galena in 55 days, that's a good thing... time under tension, so to speak...

2 comments:

Duane said...

Just came across your blog, just want to say hi!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Keep working at it. Be careful not to bend the rules too far.

I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Stay tuned...