just when the caterpillar thought that life was over,
it became
a BUTTERFLY!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Out of the mouths of babes


maybe its just me? who knows... I admit not having had (yet) any children of my own, I am at a loss when it comes to knowing what a 7 yr old should know... things like math concepts, spelling, reading, etc... Its not as if I peruse books that say at 7 your child should be reading X and doing math concepts Y....

Now when I become pregnant (if that is God's will) then yes I will be one of those mom's that gets the book that shows how big my baby is at this that and the other week... I just know I will...

But I was in total shock last night as Matt and I sat here on the couch just chatting and Trevor started to read to us. Now he has read to us at dinner from his book he got at the book fair Phineas and Ferb and I must say I was quite impressed with his reading skills. There were a few words he got stuck on but he tries to sound them out and sometimes he just has to ask..

However last night he picks up a copy of an ESV Bible and begins reading in Genesis and reads from chapter 1 to chapter 2 verse 14... I was over the top amazed, not only that he was doing this but that he was doing it so well. Now granted his sentence flow isn't up to par yet, but I was in awe of how well he did reading this and getting some of the more complicated words on his own.

I may not be his mom but I can tell you as he read more and more I could feel the tears of pride welling up in my eyes... and then as he got to God's creations on days 5 and 6.. I thought James Earl Jones embodied him, his tone and voice took on a new dimension as he got more excited about what he was reading...

I have to say it was BY FAR the coolest thing that happened in my day yesterday!

No comments: